Proudly sponsored by:
70 new PDHPE teachers came together for the ACHPER NSW 2023 Early Career Teacher Conference in Sydney last week.
“It was a pleasure to meet such a great group of enthusiastic new educators,” said Tracy Puckeridge, CEO ACHPER NSW.
“The conference is all about that vital early years support. As always, we’re grateful to all the presenters for sharing their knowledge and offering encouragement to build the new teachers’ confidence, skills and support network.
“Big thank you also to conference sponsor GambleAware NSW, along with the exhibitors,” said Tracy.
The day began with a keynote panel featuring:
- Rachael Holland, PDHPE teacher, Newtown High School of the Performing Arts
- Amy Harriman, Deputy Principal, The Hills Sports High School
- Janice Atkin, Professional Learning Officer, ACHPER NSW
Each delivered powerful messages to the new teachers, exploring how to go from surviving to thriving in the first few years. New teacher Rachael shared her personal experiences, challenges and the wins when starting out. The experienced Amy emphasised “you’re never alone, you’re always supported” to delegates, outlining structures and support available, along with a rich array of insights from her teaching career.
Following the keynote, the teachers selected specialised workshops to attend including:
- Class behaviour and management, with Pam Williams
- Quality formative assessment, with Brendan Jones
- Who is in front of you?, with Sonja Maric
- Planning inclusive theory lessons, with Janice Atkin
- Trauma-informed practices in PDHPE, with Melinda Navin and Janine Perry
- Difficult conversations, with Amy Harriman
- Accreditation, with Emmanuel Karayiannis
- Student wellbeing, with Andre Adam-De-Villers
Thank you to conference sponsor
CONFERENCE PHOTO GALLERY