NESA has published the NSW curriculum reform timelines, across all years and subject areas, including PDHPE. It’s the start of major change and exciting times for PDHPE in NSW.
The Year 11 and 12 PDHPE syllabus will be among the first to be rolled out. To be released in 2023, it will be taught in schools in 2024 and examined in the HSC in 2025. The new syllabus will see a shift from ‘Stage 6 PDHPE’ to ‘Year 11 and 12 Health and Movement Science’ syllabus.
PDHPE – NESA timelines
11-12 PDHPE (Health and Movement Science)
- 2023 – Syllabus release. Schools plan and prepare
- 2024 – Taught in schools
- 2025 – Examined in HSC
K-6 and 7-10 PDHPE
- 2023 – Syllabus consultation and release
- 2024 – Schools plan and prepare
- 2025 – Taught in schools
“It goes without saying this is a significant time for PDHPE in NSW,” said Tracy Puckeridge, CEO of ACHPER NSW.
“While we have years of curriculum change ahead, it’s positive and exciting. We hope to see a more robust and contemporary PDHPE learning area.
“ACHPER NSW has planned an extensive program of professional learning and support throughout 2023 and 2024 to guide schools. Our board, staff and presenters are some of the most experienced educators in the state and are ready to help,” said Tracy.
ACHPER NSW Professional Learning Officer Janice Atkin says it’s time to get on the front foot with the Year 11 and 12 syllabus.
“K-10 PDHPE teachers can expect to engage in syllabus consultation during 2023.
“For 11-12 PDHPE leaders and teachers, it’s time to prepare. The syllabus has been through its consultation and a draft publicly available for some time. We won’t know the final version until its release next year, but now is the time to plan.
“First and foremost, most schools are in the process of budget and professional learning planning for 2023. Consider what will you and your staff need to achieve a new syllabus rollout,” says Janice.
Questions to ask now – Year 11 and 12 syllabus rollout
Here are a few questions to consider as you start your faculty planning for 2023:
- Who in your faculty will be leading the implementation at your school?
- What support will they require to do this well?
- Which teachers will support the planning and programming processes?
- How can you tap into your professional networks to share the load?
- How can you carve out time to undertake the planning and programming activities in 2023?
“These are key considerations when putting together faculty implementation plans,” says Janice.
How ACHPER NSW can help
ACHPER NSW are PDHPE professional learning specialists. We have a comprehensive program planned for 2023 and 2024.
Stage 6 PDHPE curriculum reform update – free webinar
8 December 2022, 3.45-5.00pm, live online
FREE: Register now>>
Join us to discuss:
- An overview of the curriculum reform process, timeline, and what to expect
- How to plan and prepare
- Hear from experienced PDHPE Head Teachers on their initial plans
Year 11 and 12 syllabus familiarisation sessions
Available during Term 1 2023 – more details soon.
This will include:
- Video: Understanding the new syllabus (30 mins)
- Video: Propositions in Stage 6 (30 mins)
- Online course: Unpacking the new syllabus – content, outcomes and expectations
Year 11 and 12 syllabus extended workshops and webinars
Available during Term 2 and 3 2023 – more details soon.
This will include:
- Programming workshops – designing unit frameworks
- Head teacher/coordinator workshops
- Webinars on new content and virtual co-design labs
- Assessment workshop – designing program and processes.