30 November 2021
The ACHPER NSW Reimagining PE workshop series has kicked off. Over 60 PDHPE teachers joined the inaugural workshops in Sydney and Wollongong.
The new one-day professional learning workshop focuses on innovation and supporting teachers and faculties to review and reinvigorate their programs.
ACHPER NSW presenters Janice Atkin and Clare Roden guided the groups through the one-day session.
“We developed Reimagining PE in response to feedback from teachers who were wanting practical ideas about how to increase student engagement in their movement lessons,” said Janice.
“It was amazing to have over 60 teachers come along, particularly given the year we have had.
“One of the biggest takeaways was building in greater student choice in the level of challenge, roles they undertake and the way they demonstrate their learning can increase potential for success and engagement.
“A key aspect of increasing engagement is using the flexibility of the syllabus to create lessons that are intentional, purposeful and meaningful for students.
“The opportunity to unpack syllabus outcomes and content was a beneficial process for participants to rethink how the program PE in their schools,” said Janice.
Six thought-provoking sessions
Designed for new or experienced PDHPE teachers, the workshop covers six sessions:
1. Defining quality PE
2. Unpacking movement outcomes
3. Engaging and re-engaging students
4. Thinking outside the box – how can we do PE differently
5. Purposeful and intentional movement lessons
6. Changing it up at your school.
Teachers were positive in their workshop feedback, with common benefits including:
- “Practical ideas for engagement”
- “Practical and working on units”
- “Being able to collaborate with other peers”
- “Ways to cater for all students”
- “The practical session and design lab challenges”
- “Looking at ways to make lessons more inclusive”
- “The breakdown of the outcomes into different ways of thinking about delivering and program”
Reimagining PE was co-designed by a passionate group of practicing PDHPE teachers and experts in physical education pedagogy. Affectionately known as our ‘PE pioneers’, they included:
- James Muir, Woonona High School
- Pam Williams, Birrong Girls High School
- Cristy Budd, St Michael’s Primary Blacktown
- Lisa Quinn, Wollongong Public School
- Rebecca Clisdall, Oran Park Anglican School
- Damian Hurley, Irrawang High School
- Kristie Crawford, Northern Beaches Secondary College
- Patricia Raikadroka, Merrylands High School
- Rebecca Clisdell, Oran Park Anglican College
- Janice Atkin, Professional Learning Officer, ACHPER NSW
- Gareth Long, Academic Partner, ACPE
- Greg Forrest, Academic Partner, Wollongong University
- Clare Roden, Professional Learning Support Officer, ACHPER NSW.
Reimagining PE series will continue in 2022 with workshops in Goulburn, Tamworth, Coffs Harbour, Newcastle and Epping during Term 1. View calendar.